Website Usage Terms & Conditions
By using or contributing to this website, and/or as a member of Wakefield & District Radio Society (W&DRS), agree to be bound by the usage terms outlined on this page. We reserve the right to change these Terms and Conditions from time to time as may be necessary.
From May 2018, a new dimension was added – GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). The following list is the “plain English” version, and the rest of the page is the full legal text if you want to read/learn more.
- Disclaimer: We do our best to make sure site content is accurate, but things change.
- Copyright: Material created for the site on the site is ours, unless it’s marked as not ours. You cannot publish it somewhere else without permission, and you cannot claim you created it if you did not.
- Posting on the site: Keep it family friendly. There are rules about what can and cannot be said.
- Being a member: If you sign up as a member, you are required to abide by the rules on this page, and agree to us holding your data electronically.
- Adverts: We may carry adverts and make use of sponsored links to try to generate some income to cover site running costs. Online ads generate very little income for small sites like ours, but every little helps
- Cookies: We use them. Most modern websites do.
- Webstats: Pretty much all websites collect usage stats to tell us useful information to make the site better. We do too.
- Your data’s safety: The site and its data are stored securely on a web server. We don’t share your data. We use industry-standard security tools and encryption to protect the content. We also hold local encrypted site backups to support disaster recovery
- What data do we hold? If you have signed up as a member, we took some details from you at sign-up (which you can see by editing your user profile). If you have signed up to a newsletter or you asked for messages to be sent to you, then we have your email address (you can easily unsubscribe). If you have enquired about online training, we keep your details securely for the purpose of course administration.
Content appearing on this site is published in good faith, based on personal experiences of the site owners and contributors, information obtained from approved online sources, and on information received from visitors to the site. Our aim is to inform visitors by providing access to information not available via other sources. It is not our intention to mislead, offend or upset, and we aim to act quickly to remove misleading, inaccurate or offensive content. Please contact the site administrator if you spot an error, or have an objection to any of the content that has been placed on this site.
Under no circumstances shall the site owners or approved contributors be held liable for any loss or damage caused by reliance on information published on this website.
The site owners/administrators are not responsible for content on sites linked to from this site.
Material originated by W&DRS and its contributors is the copyright of the owners of the wdrs.club domain, unless acknowledged otherwise. Copyright © wdrs.club. All rights reserved.
No part of this website may be altered, edited, copied, mirrored, republished, distributed, or reproduced in any form whatsoever without prior written permission from the site owners.
We acknowledge that in order for us to provide reviews of products or services, on rare occasions content from organisations with which we are affiliated may have been used on this site – it is not our intention to infringe any copyright or trademarks. Logos may be trademarks of other organisations and are acknowledged. In the event that any organisation or individual feels that material used on this site has been used incorrectly or inappropriately on this site, please contact the site’s webmaster via the homepage, and prompt action will be taken.
3. Visitor Messages
Visitors to our site are able to post messages via dedicated ‘comments’ sections and in our site forum. Visitors who post messages must not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person’s privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. Legal actions can be taken against posters.
Visitors who post messages to the website are required to provide valid contact information, such as their email address. Messages created using false credentials and/or identities are not permitted.
Messages deemed by the site owner and/or moderators to be unsuitable or in breach of these conditions may be removed without notice.
Visitors must not post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by them or they have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material.
Posters remain solely responsible for the content of their messages. The site owners reserve the right to reveal the identity and IP addresses of any poster in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any content posted.
It is impossible for us to confirm the validity of content submitted by visitors to this site. We do not actively monitor posted messages and are not responsible for their content. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any information presented. The messages express the views of the author, not necessarily the views of the site owners/administrators.
Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify the webmaster immediately. We have the right to remove objectionable content within a reasonable time-frame, where we deem that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realise that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.
We reserve the right to quote, re-publish and/or transmit over amateur radio, content posted to this site, or messages sent to this site that are not clearly identified as ‘not for publication’.
Site users who create a user account are required to use their own name and genuine amateur radio callsign (if licenced). Accounts that have been created using false credentials will be suspended without notice. Where our monitoring software detects creation of multiple fake accounts, access to parts of the site may be restricted. The site owners reserve the right to report such activity to databases of known spammers.
W&DRS has made best endeavors to be compliant with the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which came into force on 25 May 2018.
1. Information gathered from visitors
The nature of W&DRS means that we do not request or store data deemed to be most sensitive, such as postal address, telephone numbers or date of birth. Additionally, we do not hold financial, payment or medical data. Here is a summary of what we collect:
- Visitors that wish to interact with Members area and our discussion forum and will be required to register. Registering results in the visitor’s name, email address, username, password (MD5 hash encrypted) and IP address being stored on this site’s web server. Additional information can be entered optionally by the user in the form of user profile data.
- Visitors adding comments to site pages or posts will be required to submit their name and email address. These details, together with the IP address will be stored on this site’s web server
- An email newsletter service is offered by this site. Should a visitor elect to join the mailing list, their email address, plus email preferences, will be stored on the site’s web server.
- Participants in W&DRS ‘nets’ will have their messages transmitted over amateur radio for “general reception”. Audio may be streamed online and recorded. A list of “net” participant’s names, callsigns and locations is collected for publishing on the website. We believe this to be acceptable ‘Legitimate Interest’ under GDPR regulations
- In common with most websites, log files are stored on the web server saving details such as the visitor’s IP address, browser type, referring page and time of visit.
- In common with most websites, cookies are used to remember visitor preferences when interacting with the website.
The website and associated data is hosted securely on a dedicated server hosted in the UK. The site administrator holds a secure backup for the purposes of disaster recovery.
2. How the Information is used
Data collected /retained on the website is used in the following ways:
- Where a visitor agrees to become a member of W&DRS, the data entered is for the purposes of accessing and administering the online account. We may use their email address to provide them emails relating to our services, as well as website updates, news stories and additional information. Emails include the option to unsubscribe.
- Where a visitor posts a page, forum or post comment, the visitor can decide to receive copies of the post and follow-on comments via the supplied email address. Emails include the option to unsubscribe.
- Where a visitor elects to opt-in to a newsletter provided by the website, emails will be sent to the supplied email address. Emails include the option to unsubscribe.
- Data submitted by applicants to our online training courses will be used to contact applicants and for the purposes of course administration.
- Audio transmitted by participants in W&DRS amateur radio ‘nets’ may be transmitted over amateur radio for “general reception”. Audio may be streamed online as a service to listeners outside the “net” coverage area. Audio is recorded for the protection of participants and to assist with enquiries into breaches of licence condition/legislation. A list of “net” participant’s names, callsigns and locations is collected for publishing on the website. We believe this to be acceptable ‘Legitimate Interest’ under GDPR regulations
- Server logs and site cookies are used for the purposes of monitoring and improving the performance of our website and service. Cookies enhance the visitor’s experience when using, and some of these cookies are essential to make our site work. We make use of the third-party Google Analytics for site performance and web statistics.
Personal data (such as email addresses) will not be sold, rented or leased to third parties. If requested, we may submit your information to local or government authorities.
3. Visitor Options
You may be able to block cookies via your browser settings, however this may prevent you from accessing certain features of the website which rely on cookies.
If you wish any personal data that you have submitted to be removed, GDPR legislation allows this, and you should contact the Site Administrator via the Contact page found on the home page of this website. Ensure that your message is clearly marked “GDPR Removal Request”.
4. Submitted Content
Where appropriate, and to offer a better service to site visitors, we may republish extracts of the following: emails sent to us, comments made in our discussion forum, comments made to blog posts, social media messages or other messages sent to us electronically. Should we elect to republish content, we will not disclose any user’s email address, telephone number or postal address.
A ‘cookie’ is a small text file that is created by a website or web service. As you surf the web, these cookies are stored in directories on your browser. These are typically used to help you navigate around a website, remember login details for a forum, to help provide statistics to a website owner, or for advertising purposes.
Additionally, some advertisement placements on this website make use of third-party cookies from one or more advertising networks. These cookies use anonymous data to improve the advertising experience for visitors, for tracking purposes, and to attribute advertising impressions to this website.
Cookies Used On This Site:
To help us understand our site visitors, and to allow us to make improvements to our site, we use various monitoring tools. We’re using the same tools as many of the world’s websites use. Here is a short summary of what we are using.
We will never (and will not allow any third party to) use the statistical analytics tool to track or to collect any Personally Identifiable Information of visitors to our site. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. Neither we nor Google will link, or seek to link, an IP address with the identity of a computer user. We will not associate any data gathered from this site with any Personally Identifiable Information from any source, unless you explicitly submit that information via a fill-in form on our website. You can find out more information on Google Analytics, and data collected by Google here: Google Analytics Privacy
We make use of the Content Management System WordPress, which collects statistics on visitors. The cookies collect the following anonymous information: browser type, language preferences, referring URL, time/date and pseudonymous IP address. More information here: automattic.com/privacy